The practice of burning sage incense has a rich history, especially among Native Americans and ancient Egyptian and Roman cultures. For centuries, sage has been used in spiritual and healing ceremonies (known as “smudging”), as well as in treatments for physical ailments.
The technical name for sage is salvia, meaning “to feel healthy.” White sage is the type most commonly used in bundles, smudge sticks, and incense, and it typically grows in Southern California and Baja California.
- The Benefits of Smudging & Burning Sage
- How To Properly Burn Sage
- Five Benefits of Burning Incense in Your Home
- Tips to Use Incense Sticks the Right Way
Burning sage incense is a safe practice that can bring the following benefits to your mind, body, spirit, and home:
- Clearing negative energy — Use white sage incense sticks on your own energy field or in your living space to promote positive vibrations.
- Purifying objects — Burning sage incense is an easy way to cleanse your crystals, meditation cushion, and more. You can even use sage smoke to clear an heirloom of stagnant energy or to bless a special object.
- Improving physical health — Sage boasts antimicrobial properties that can help ward off bacteria, fungi, and viruses. It can also help to relieve headaches and inflammation, as well as aid in healing digestive issues, depression, and sleep problems.
- Improving intuition — Many energy healers burn sage incense to help keep their intuition open, as its smoke helps clear away mental clutter and allow in higher vibrations.
- Decreasing stress — The energetic properties of sage incense makes it a wonderful tool for bringing calm, balance, and peace to your inner being and home.
So what’s the best way to burn sage incense? Here are 5 important tips to know:
- Find sage incense of good quality (and great energy).
At crystalis.com, we offer only the highest-quality white sage incense, hand rolled in a beautiful mixture of natural herbs, gums, resins, woods, and oils according to traditional Indian recipes.
- Set an intention.
Whether you want to clear negative energy, purify an object, or bring peace and calm, focusing on that intention before and during your sage-burning ritual will increase the efficacy of your smudging.
- Light the sage incense and let the flame blow out.
Always focus your attention on sage when it’s lit and never leave it unattended. You can either allow the flame to extinguish on its own, or you can gently blow it out yourself so that its smoke and beautiful energy waft through the air.
- Use an abalone shell to catch ashes.
We offer abalone shells on crystalis.com so you can incorporate the four elements into your sage incense ritual: water (shell), earth (sage), fire (lit sage), and air (smoke).
- Waft the sage smoke with your hand or a feather to smudge:
- Yourself: Start at your feet and waft the smoke on and around your body, spending more time in places you want to focus on.
- A room: Start at a corner and waft the sage incense smoke from floor to ceiling, around the entire room.
- A window: Waft the smoke to each of its corners.
- An object: Hold the object in your hand or stand in front of it as you direct the smoke onto and around it to cleanse or bless it.
Yes, it’s that easy! Ready to get started with your own smudging ritual? Shop online now to browse our sage incense sticks and clear your way to balance and harmony.